Saturday, June 19, 2010

Salisbury and Area (June 19, 2010)

Back in the Carolinas after a few weeks in Richmond, and have been enjoying it a great deal. Rode the motorcycle today to check out Salisbury, NC, a favorite town with some real fine roads and interesting sights. Checked out the Confederate Monument, and the old Courthouse. The Courthouse survived the occupation of the city by Union Forces during the late days of the Civil War. They came to free Union Prisoners held at the Confederate Prison there. Many thousands of those who died there are buried in the nearby National Cemetery. They also have cemeteries, including some holding troops which served with British General Cornwallis in the city.

I also made a stop at Dan Nicholas Park, where I visited some of the sights there, which included this Merry Go Round, and the zoo there with a number of interesting animals and birds. I have some of those photos on my Photo Page which you can check out. Though a hot and humid day, had a great time on the motorcycle, and enjoyed the sights, the wind in my face, and being out on the bike today. I will have more photos from the visit home on my next post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...