Monday, August 31, 2009

Exp;loring Richmond with Patty (Day 2)

Patty and I spent a second day exploring Richmond on Sunday August 30. Started out with an early morning at the Capital. Nice place; the Capital itself was designed (I am told) by Thomas Jefferson. The big Washington statue is impressive as well as some of the smaller ones. Got by the Governor's Mansion; kidded with the guard there that "you can tell the governor we are ready for brunch'. She told us he was at church, and before we left saw him walking back (with a lot of security) from church.
We left there, and went to Canal Walk, and then walked out to Belle Isle. I had seen it many times, but was the first time to visit it. Great view of the city from the walkway, and the island itself was remarkable.
John Smith was an early visitor, and it has been (among other things) a Indian village, a civil war prison, power plant site, various factory sites, and is now a very, very popular site for people to hike, bike, swim and play. It was a wonderful place and I will be back for sure!
Patty and I took a hike around the island, and enjoyed that a great deal. If you have not been there yet, it is a for sure must see destination. I am now somewhat pissed that it took me so long to go there; would have been there many times by now if I had known what all could be found there.
Following our hike, went to Shockoe Bottom. Patty and I have been there before, myself quite a few times, and also with her in her previous visits to Richmond. We went to "Bottoms Up" and really enjoyed the pizza there. Very good and went well with her tea, while I enjoyed a "frosty cold beverage". Service was very good too, and had a good time. While there checked out a very fine looking motorcycle outside (as I am kind of a bike fanatic) and after a short while, headed back to the apartment for the day.
Patty had a great time, will be leaving later today and I will be heading to work this afternoon. I forgot to mention in the last post (which also deals with her visit) that we had also eaten on Saturday at Buz and Neds. Liked that too, but of the three places I have been to this weekend, that one I had been to (and liked very much) before...so it was not a surprise that it was good as I had prior experience.
Have enjoyed with my buddy Keith and especially Patty showing some of the sights of this very interesting town. Was great seeing some new sights with my wife this weekend, and makes me wonder what else I will discover during my upcoming two years in Richmond, VA.
On this cloudy Monday as I write this, enjoying the almost fall weather outside my open apartment patio door. Having a great time here today with a few more hours with Patty!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Carolina Biker ! I just wanted to write and tell you how much I enjoy your blogs. I thought I knew a lot about the area, but you have shown me things right under my nose that I was unaware of. I enjoy exploring with my family finding interesting places and especially the unusual. We are geocachers so we see a lot of cool places but you have found some that have been hidden from us . Again thanks and I look forward to your and Pattys adventures around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I enjoy exploring a new area. Will be living here for a couple more years, figure I might as well enjoy the experience (have done the same in North Carolina....came there from Louisville, KY). Richmond has been a very interesting city. I enjoy all the history of the place, and the many sights around town. Patty and I both noted that when my time here ends, visits back to Richmond will not. This transfer has been a very pleasant surprise. Both the places and the people here have been a real joy. I appreciate your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...