Tuesday, July 21, 2009

On the Rest Stop Issue...A Road Warrior Perspective

As expected as I saw the signs posted near the planned closings on my last trip to Richmond, the state today closed 18 rest areas in Virginia, including a number along my well traveled route from Richmond to basically the NC border. I like the rest areas, they offer a peaceful oasis along the route, have at times been a good place to duck during severe storms, good location to check out real and possible car problems, and of course those all important rest rooms. Sometimes its just a good place to get out, and get away from the seat of the car for a bit. I have used rest areas for picnics (when traveling to other places with my wife) though not during these solo trips to Virginia.
Will just have to adapt to the change; often make a stop in South Hill, VA for food on the way back, and often on the way up. Have made a fuel stop during my trip to move into the apartment here in the rental truck; many places along the road are sort of well off the road and kind of isolated. Sure this will make a lot of changes to the traveling public....but not much else we can do.
West Virginia travel centers are pretty commercial; have a number of places to eat in them, and also many gift shops. I guess that will be (if I had to bet) the future of the rest stops here, think that they will eventually go that route. Better that then to just leave them closed.
I understand the state has to save some money, and its always sad when its your ox is gored. This may be a safety issue for some, especially big rigs, and older folks (plus a real issue for families with children). It has even gotten to be a issue with the election as candidates are promising a quick re-opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...