Saturday, May 2, 2009

A short visit to Petersburg, VA

On my trips past it, heading to North Carolina, have seen Petersburg from the highway. On Friday, having time to make a easy drive for a change, I stopped to take a look. While there just an hour, got a good interesting look at some of the city, and liked what I saw. For instance the Courthouse at left dated to the Civil War, and the clock tower was used to track time both by Confederate and Union Soldiers. When the American flag was raised over the city on April 3, 1865 it signaled the end of the battle for Petersburg.


I also wandered around the old section of Petersburg. I saw many interesting stores there, and enjoyed checking out the old buildings. Seems to be a lot of history to be found in that area, as well as many shops, places to eat, and things to explore. I have been told that it can be a rather dangerous town, but did not have any problems in the area, rather as with most of Virginia found the people I encountered to be very friendly and in fact did not see a great many people at all on what was a very quiet Friday morning.



This third photo was the old railyard. During the Civil War,Union troops burned the trains that were there. Petersburg was an important supply and communications depot for Richmond, and with its fall the door to Richmond was open, and the end of the war was just days away. The battlefield is nearby and I will in a future trip to the area explore that as well, and am looking forward to it. All in all, it was a most remarkable visit, and a very pleasant one as well. I have been amazed at all the sights that I have seen so far, and pleased at the things that I have come across in my travels. This is certainly a most remarkable state.
Writing this from my home in North Carolina, where I had a very enjoyable motorcycle ride today with a good friend, and am looking forward to sharing some of that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...