Thursday, January 1, 2009

Countdown To Richmond (January 1,2009)

Took this photo in McAdenville, NC; have been in Concord for ten years but have never driven to see the lights in "Christmas Town, USA". Got to say it was well worth the ride. Have had (still a few more days off) a very fine break from work over the holidays; got in some good motorcycling, had a nice Christmas with my wife, son and two border collies, and have been able to do some serious research on the upcoming move.
I spend a bit of time every day reading The Richmond-Times Dispatch on line....getting as much of a feel for the local Richmond region as possible. I have been getting some information on a small truck to move the things I will be taking there, and also have been looking some at things I will need to get to make life better there. Having just made a move from Louisville, KY to Concord, NC 10 years ago, I do have some idea of what all will be involved in the move. Doing this is never easy.....a great deal of unknowns will happen along the way. I did enjoy the trip there in mid-December, and the company gave me a good book full of information on the job which will be a huge help while I am there. Got to say, they are doing a much better job than they did 10 years ago. That move really was a mystery.
Richmond looks to be a really interesting place. I did read this week that parts of an old hotel downtown fell onto the street (just a few bricks). A blogger noted that the hotel was built in 1929, and was one of downtown's "newer" hotels. For sure to be the age of the city is certainly part of its charm. I do like older towns; spent some time on the motorcycle this week in Salisbury, NC an old town in North Carolina (dating back to the 1700's, heavily damaged in the Civil War) and fun to see the older areas. I like to explore and am looking forward to doing some of that in Richmond, which appears to have a lot to see.
I will be there in six weeks from today. There is a lot to do in that time, and will be working to get things ready for the transfer. Will be more difficult this time as my family is staying here, and I will be doing this solo....but will be home on (hopefully most) weekends. Patty and I though do have plans for her to make some trips there, and together we will also do some exploring of the Richmond area. It ought to be a lot of fun, hopefully the three years I will be spending there will be just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...