Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tappahannock, VA (May 25, 2013)

 Took a ride on May 25 to Tappahannock, VA and got to stand on the shore of the very wide Rappahannock River. Got there via VA360 which I had ridden part of before. This though was all a new section, and after a lunch along the way at KW's Tavern (suggested to me by a friend and well worth the stop) and past a number of historical markers and even a number of Civil War battlefields. Of course, being Virginia, the route also had a number of signs about the Revolutionary War as many of the armies and battles took place in this state as well. That is what makes it a very interesting place.   
This is the historical section of Tappahannock, though not as old as town which started in the 1600's but old enough. I went past a number of the old buildings and sights, even checked out some of the businesses. I wish I had more time to have spent there, but this will just be the first trip, I will return while I am here in Virginia....just found it a very interesting place.
Fun having a motorcycle which to me is one of the best ways to get out and explore a new area, or some new roads, this was the case which 360 only a small part of which I had seen. It is a very long ride, and I wonder how far it does go?
This old building was downtown, and of course had a Confederate Monument in front of it. Not sure how old the building is, but it is old in its own right.
I saw some interesting churches, some fun businesses that I wandered into, and even a few places that I will check out later. Of course there is a lot more to see there...as I noticed from visiting the town web site.
There were also a whole lot of motorcycles in the area, many of them traveling (I assume) to the Rolling Thunder Rally in Washington, DC which is this weekend. I had considered making that, but think I will save it for another time. I would have to make arrangements for my newly acquired border collie which is due to my soon to be completed divorce from my soon to be X-Wife. the dog though is a wonderful friend and enjoy its company a great deal, though she is not able to ride on the motorcycle which is a shame..I think she would enjoy the wind in her face as much as I do.      
 I did check out this history museum in the city, and had a very good time there. Had a number of interesting items, and also featured free admission which is nice as well. Many of the museums charge, and many do not, but all are worth seeing.
At any case, headed out toward Richmond again, and once more enjoyed the views along the way. Ride takes you past a number of farms and fields and it is really a nice four lane road to ride. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to getting on it again. Of course in Richmond 360 is a quite busy road and is quite different to ride; takes a lot of attention there. 
In Mechanicsville, stopped for a time to check out some of these old vehicles which I saw there, this Cadillac, two old trucks and even an old firetruck. I will have some of those photos on my Flickr site, and also some on Racing with the Wind (my motorcycle site). All in all, a great day which covered only some of what this road and area has to offer. I look forward to my next adventure in the State of Virginia and my return to this very interesting area in the very near future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Late Winter Update (February 18, 2024)

February has been an interesting month here in Central Ohio. Seen some visiting birds, and some fantastic regular residents here at the lake...