Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Maymont: 90th Anniversary (April 16, 2016)

 Normally would have put this on my motorcycle page...though really was not a motorcycle ride. It is a just a few miles to these parks from my house, and only takes a few minutes. Byrd Park (which is where I took this photo) and Maymont are right on the other side of the Nickle (which is actually now 35 cents) Bridge. One thing I like about Richmond is the amazing parks in this area (or in Virginia for that matter). In fact the day before I did take a huge ride to Jamestown and Yorktown, but this was in total due to a little ride after a 17 mile ride. I had cleaned up the motorcycle earlier and just took it to get to this.  
Good thing as parking was slim...Maymont was packed. Some 90 years ago the Dooley family donated the house and the lands to the City of Richmond, and they have maintained it ever since. The day was filled with a number of events including period music, period clothing, tours of the mansion which is really something to see, and of course a car show with period cars. I really got to see some amazing vehicles. As all were from the 20's and 30s it was not your typical car show.
 As I said, there was quite a crowd, and this is just a small sample. I saw some Revolutionary War "National Treasures" at Yorktown Battlefield, and certainly some more at 400 year old Jamestown but Maymont if not a National Treasure is certainly a Richmond Treasure and is one of the most popular places in the city to visit. When friends come to see Richmond, this is either at the top of the list or not far below. Just a remarkable place.

One thing they had a lot of was horses and carriages. I saw quite a few of them, but this one just really captured my attention. You can see part of a bigger one with a full size horse just out of view, off to the left.
This was one of those shot in the dark things, but sure glad I went to this. Of course I cannot name a time that I have not been glad I went to Maymont. In addition to events such as this they have a zoo, Japanese Gardens, Italian Gardens, a great carriage collection, some amazing old buildings, the house, and just some remarkable grounds. It has been featured many times on this page and I can surely say that if you are in Richmond for a visit make sure to add Maymont to your list of must see places. You will find it at least very worthwhile if not amazing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...