Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring 2011: Forest Hill Park

First day of Spring, and its about time. Winter in Richmond was not all that bad-certainly a big improvement over last winter (which was frankly pretty bad) but glad to see Spring here at last. It is a great and favorite time of year, and have enjoyed seeing the trees in bloom (mostly I believe Bradford Pears and Dogwoods here in Richmond). Nice to enjoy the season and to relax with a Sunday morning walk in Forest Hill Park. One of the oldest parks in Richmond I believe, and a real jewel. It has had a lot of work done to it in the last year or so, and a great many improvements have been made to this park. Seemed like a good place to walk on this day.
Walking at Forest Hill can be a good adventure. It features some steep climbs, but this is a good thing for a work out. Some people get gym memberships, but I enjoy a good walk outside in the air. There were a lot of people out, though being early not as many as I often see there walking, riding bikes, jogging, playing with dogs, and just generally doing the same thing I was. Got a lot of "hello there" greetings. I am always impressed on how friendly Richmond people are, and that is a nice thing on a Sunday morning, first day of Spring day. Perfect blue skies and a quiet urban park, it does not get any better than this. Have been getting over some kind of cold bug that has been going around work, so felt good for the first day in quite a few days to feel like getting out. Work has been a bear this week with that, so fits that the first day of spring I would feel good and be ready to get a good walk in among the beauty to be found there. I like a lot of parks in Richmond, which is blessed with some fine ones, but this in my opinion is the best of the best in the city.

Forest Hill Park has a trail which runs along a creek by the lake, and its really nice. Got a lot of big rocks there, and there are a lot of bicyclists who ride that trail (and a few of them went by me). I am not one of those people who dislike bicyclists; in fact I think its a great and very smart way both to get a workout in, and to commute (if possible for that matter). Though my favorite two wheel way to go ride now has a engine and Kawasaki on the side, I remember riding a few years ago, and have given some though to getting back into it again. Especially with the price of gasoline and the impact of those vehicles on the environment it sounds better and better. Very interested in electric bicycles but I am rambling here; that is for another post. Got to check out that electric Leaf last week (previous post) and that really has me thinking about the future. Going to a place like Forest Hill Park, you realize what a special and fragile thing this world really is; nothing at all like it at least in this solar system- and its the only game we have. If we mess this up, we are pretty well screwed.
View here is the restored and very beautiful lake at Forest Hill Park. I like going by there, watched a guy for a time playing with his dog in the lake. He would throw a stick, and the dog would catch it. He and the dog were having a blast, I like to play with my dogs in North Carolina, and look forward to doing that again very soon.
Was nice being out. Got my mind off of problems with the "gas billing company" at the apartment complex NWP Services Corporation. Weather has been warm (for winter) and I have not run the heat, but someone has and I got a bill for the "heat" this month. Pisses me off knowing I have not used it, and getting ripped off by the corporation. For the apartment complex it is easier for them, for the residents it often means questionable bills. Not meter reading, just "you owe this." My advice is that if you find when renting apartments that they use a "service" such as NWP Services Corporation run...don't walk...out the door and find another place to live. You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...