Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend in Carolina (Sept 5-7)

After a very intense weekend with Patty during her visit to Richmond, had a laid back four day Labor Day weekend in Carolina. Patty and I mostly relaxed; I tacked a home project, and threw a lot of frisbee's with my two border collies Cassie and Mollie. The weather during the entire visit was perfect; no rain, low humidity.
I did get a motorcycle ride in on Sunday September 6 with Bill (in the blue shirt, rides the purple Honda Gold Wing) and Steve (in the brown shirt who rides the red Harley Ultra Classic). The silver Kawasaki Vulcan Classic is my ride. We stopped for lunch in Albemarle, NC at Harmanco's and rode out to Morrow Mountain.

I have been to Morrow Mountain (which is a North Carolina State Park) quite a few times lately. However, its a great ride out there, and riding around the park is really a lot of fun. While its a real gathering place for motorcyclists, it also offers camping, swimming, and hiking inside the park. It was Bill's first time to be up there, which was sort of a surprise, but he really enjoyed the park, and we took him on a good tour of the area. Steve took us back to Concord via some really fun backroads; course there are a great many of those there.
The four days were really nice, had a lot of fun with the family, also enjoyed seeing many friends from (my former) work. While I have a good time in Richmond, VA, its always fantastic to be back home again!

2 comments:

  1. As I have said before, I so enjoy your blog ! I too wish others here would take advantage of seeing what our area has to offer. I dont know if you have checked out the Church Hill Tunnel but if you havent it is worth a look at both ends along with the story. Also I loved walking around Chimabarzoo Park and the medical museum there. I will also be checking out the bbq places you mentioned. sounds yummy ! and I will place N. Carolina on my list of places to travel too. Again thanks for such a great blog ! gypsy924@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that. Will check out the Church Hill tunnel, going to find some info on that shortly. As for the park and the medical museum, I have seen that. Some weeks ago, a motorcycle ride went out near my apartment, I ran into them again, and followed them to the destination, which was that park. Found the museum, and went through that. Nice park (was just up the road from St. John's Church).
    I think the city has a lot to offer, always find something interesting; going to Henricus Park tomorrow to see that, and the ship coming by for a visit (replica colonial era sailing ship). Never bored here in Richmond. Thanks again for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...